Senior News

With Aberaeron smarting from a defeat at Berriew they were keen to perform well. The Builth set up is superb and the message to play by the Aberaeron coaches was clear. Aberaeron started straight from the blocks anld dominated the early play. 

Every player seemed quicker than Builth’s and from a superb move where Steffan Gittins waltzed past a couple of players and played a great ball to David Evans on one of his many overlaps who then played a delicious cross into the ‘corridor of uncertainty’ for a home defender to nod the ball in to the net! Within minutes Aberaeron were two nil when Steffan Gittins finished a superb move and calmly slotting the ball in to the net. Aberaeron were in full control with James Hemmings and Dan James dictating matters from midfield. Unexplicably, without any appeals from the home team players or staff, the referee gave a penalty against the visiting keeper who, actually looked like he had been fouled! Neil Evans, who felt the injustice acutely, dived to his left to make a superb save- justice was done! Within minutes the referee repeated the action of pointing to the penalty spot, again without any apparent appeals by the home team. The ball had travelled a foot or so and struck an Aberaeron player- another soft and controversial penalty. This time the home striker calmly stroked the ball past the keeper’s left. Rather than accept injustice Aberaeron took control of the game once more with  the returning from long term injury, Gareth Severs, pulling the strings with great control and deft passes. Once more a move started by Steffan Gittins found Aidan Burrel who pulled the ball back from the byline to Severs who cleverly stroked the ball in to the corner of the net - justice restored!

Once more to the amazement of all present the referee found a reason to award a third penalty for the home team- even the home team were embarrassed as the penalty was clearly a wrong decision. The ball was struck firmly from the spot and half time ended a very bizarre first 45 minutes. 
Aberaeron were clearly rattled by the refereeing decisions but, to a man, were determined to play the second half giving no quarter. 
For 45 minutes  the Aberaeron boys played for each other, covered each other and put their bodies on the line for each other to keep the home team at bay. They actually took the lead from a superb goal by young substitute Sam Brameld who thundered the ball in to the net from 30 yards only for the linesaman to flag for a foul throw- another bizarre decision!
Aberaeron saw the last few minutes out to win a game that they clearly deserved. Ifan Burrel gave a perfect display of forward play with his tireless running, his willingness to chase lost causes and his strength and ability in terrorising the home defence- a brilliant acquisition for Aberaeron and one, already is a firm favourite by his fellow players. 
A superb effort under extreme provocation, Aberaeron fully deserved the points and march on with confidence. They farewell with Dan Bourne, who is off travelling, however he will be sorely missed as he has been absolutely outstanding- the boys wish him well and look forward to his return- Bon voyage! A piece of good news for Aberaeron was the return of centre back Rhodri Edwards after a long lay-off. He is a quality player and will slot in next to dominant Elwyn Edwards in the middle of the defence. Next Friday at Welshpool will be a good test, but after taking on 12 players today-bring it on!!

Related Articles