Senior News

The home team were looking forward to this fixture after two non-playing week-ends. Aberaeron started brightly and strung together some very good passing moves and putting the visitors under quite a lot of pressure. Llandod’s tactics were clear from the outset in using the long ball tactics to good effect, be they from their goalkeeper, dangerous free-kicks in to the area and a long throw that caused havoc on occasions. Llandod scored from a free kick with the Aberaeron defence deep in their area the ball was headed towards the goal and the home keeper could only get one hand to the ball and was unable to stop it from crossing the line. Aberaeron in typical fashion responded well and both Ifan Burrell and Steff Gittins put the visitors under enormous pressure. Gittins was brought down and his perfectly driven free-kick was headed cleverly in to the net by Dan James who is in a rich vein of scoring. 
Before Aberaeron could ‘turn the screw’ they conceded a soft penalty and their good work was undone! Aberaeron are made of sterner stuff these days and, once again grabbed the game by the collar and created some really good chances through James Hemmings, Gareth Severs, Steff Gittins and Ifan Burrell. Not surprisingly Ifan Burrell latched on to a through pass to equalise with ease. Half-time came without further goals and Aberaeron decided to play a little deeper in the second half to nullify the long-ball tactic and this seemed to work well with Aberaeron being completely dominant doing everything but score! Ifan Burrell was his usual marauding self and a tactical foul stopping him running through on goal saw the Llandod defender receiving a second yellow card and sent off. One way traffic increased with more and more opportunities created. Llandod have a good team spirit and did create a couple of chances on the break. Neil Davies the home keeper was called upon on a couple of occasions with one excellent save going down low to his left to deny a certain goal. Aberaeron tried and tried with Dave Evans playing brilliantly down the left putting in dangerous crosses after dangerous crosses. He was ably assisted by Gareth Lewis, the left full back who had a terrific second half and was a very good offensive option down the left. The half ended as it had started with Aberaeron ‘camped’ in the opponent’s half, but the winning goal never came. Neither side deserved to lose so in the end it was an honourable draw.

Related Articles